Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Significance of One

I've been thinking. I find it amazing how the world materializes, manufactures, and produces so many things that are duplications. You walk into a store and there is 10 things of the exact same thing lined up in a row and you know they have more in the back. But that's only how a man's world works. Everything about nature and in nature is unique. Anything that is natural has some unique characteristic....sure there are things that are considered to be the 'same' but when carefully examined they aren't completely identical. Take a step back, and consider God's world and man's world. Every tree and leaf is so different. Just look outside, fall is like the personality of nature. The 'same' trees show different personalities-one's leaves are pink, orange, and yellow whereas another's seems to still be holding onto all the green it can with only a few yellow leaves here and there and then you see the ones that must have been happy to be rid of all their leaves cause they are already completely off and the tree is as bare and can be. A single leaf can represent many different things just by looking at it: life, change, death. A single tree brought Adam and Eve to fall. Just ONE. It's not like their was a meadow of knowledge trees-just a single tree. Every snowflake is said to be entirely unique. The symbolism is amazing. If it wasn't important, you would think that God would have made a cookie cutter for all snowflakes. A single tear in someone's eye can represent complete joy or sadness. No storm is the same, no plant, no flower. And look at the importance 'just one' has had on every single one us. If you zoom out of Utah, you may see a lot of houses, parks, roads....but to a family a specific house is their home, their safe place, their little temple. Rock Canyon park may just a park to everyone else, but for me it's where I got engaged-which basically makes it the best park ever made. A person may just be someone they pass on street, but another individual that person may be their special someone-someone life isn't worth living if they aren't with them. Someone that has completely changed their life for their better eternally...my husband. There is ONE book that has changed my life in its entirety and has changed many thousands of others...the Book of Mormon. Look at the power that one book has had on this world. The power ONE man had in making sure this book was brought forth and everything he did. We have ONE prophet. The world has tried to make cookie cutters out of humans with celebrities and models, but it just doesn't work that way. Every person is unique, individual, original. The nature of a human is so powerful, I think most of us just don't grasp our own complexity. That's kind of a bold thing to say but when you think of it in a similar way of nature and trying to see God's perspective, it makes it a little easier. So back to nature, I think it is often something we take for granted or don't really think about cause it is always there. But the fact that it is always there is something to consider. Always a reminder of beauty, uniqueness, and something of worth....like us. The changing fall leaves are like a reminder to show our personalities and let them shine. For atleast one time in the year. Their leaves fall off and you can see the tree for what it is, all the branches, the winding and curving it had to do to make the leaves look so pretty when those branches were full before. Their are certain people that do that for each one of us-but usually only specific people, or maybe just ONE. We so often compare to everyone else, but why? I know that I do it quite a lot and sometimes I wonder why. Take a moment and appreciate what you do have-those little individual things that make you happy. You're favorite chair-there's only ONE of them. You're favorite hairdo, perfume, teddy bear, pillow, color. Can you imagine life without all of those little simple things of just ONE that seem to influence you everyday. There has been just ONE perfect man to ever live this earth, only ONE man who sacrificed his life for every single person that has ever lived and will ever live. ONE man's atonement makes it possible for every one of us to make it back to our Heavenly Father for eternity. Amazing, isn't it? I don't know if I was even able to sort of get my point across but I do need to go to bed.

2 comments:

The Winwards said...

Jill, you're great. This is beautiful. We think you are the ONE for Matt. I'm so glad you are in our family. Sorry about football taking Matt all the time. I don't envy you at all, I'm sure it would be very difficult. Hey let's go to Disneyland together. I know your dream will come true sooner than you think.

Adventures in Healing said...

Good post Jill. Sorry, I'm too tired for more than that right now. Drugs just kicked in finally. =)