Sunday, August 19, 2012

Extra! Extra!

Matt spent last Tuesday and Wednesday down in Goshen filming an LDS Bible Movie.  He portrayed a Roman Soldier in Golgotha and was in scenes casting lots for Jesus' garments and when Christ is crucified on the cross.

John 19: 34
But one of the soldiers (Matt Putnam) with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there
out blood and water.

What a great experience.  I can't wait to see it when it comes out.  It's supposed to come out around Easter of next year.  I barely recognized him when he came home from filming.  His beard was gone and he was covered in dark brown makeup from head to toe.  It was really weird ... so you might not even be able to tell its him when the movie comes out.

Matt said it felt a little too real at times being there.  Here's what he had to say about the whole thing:

"I spent tuesday and Wednesday out in the middle of nowhere dressed up as a roman soldier. It was a
very emotionally varied experience. The set is massive incredibly realistic. I don't feel like I need to go to
the real place anymore. I went from being in awe of the set to having fun just talking and goofing around
with other extras to having three hundred people be silent from emotion for an hour any time John, who
is Jesus, climbed up the big orange ladder to hook himself onto the cross.

More than once we were sitting in a circle between trailers and John/Jesus would walk by in his
underwear, covered with blood ,with the crown of thorns and would smile and wave. While I was
practicing sticking the spear into the side of the cross we had a little conversation   which was strange
considering he was ten feet above me and looked exactly like you would think Jesus on the cross would
be but he's talking to you in a normal voice and impressed by your ability to move a big rock by yourself.

My beard was gone twenty minutes after I showed up. Good food. Tons of brown makeup.   Baby oil in your hair makes you look sweaty.   Sandals from that time give you blisters.   John/Jesus is an Irishman with short, bright red hair and a red beard that gets dyed every day."

The 2 thieves

All the Roman Soldiers (Matt's on the far right)

More pictures to come.

No comments: