Today was interesting. It was the first Mother's Day I've spent without my dad or my brothers ... there's usually a silent bond of understanding between us and we enjoy being with each other and kinda distracting each other from the sad day or reflecting on the good times with home videos and what not. Instead, we spent the day with Matt's family to be with his mom ... we had a great time but I couldn't be myself no matter how hard I tried and I couldn't burst into tears at any given moment and have everyone understand. I love Matt's family ... I got so lucky to have such great in-laws and my mother-in-law definitely deserved a day of celebration in her honor.
I've had some amazing mother figures throughout my life. My mom is my hero. I may have only known her for 9 1/2 years of my life but I know enough to know how great of a person she is ... and I continue to learn more about her all the time from people's stories and her journals. I would give anything to spend another day with her or to talk to her about what is going on in my life, or for her to meet Matt, and the list goes on. I miss her more than words can express.
My stepmom, Christy, has been with me since the beginning of my teen years. She was there for me through all the high school drama and knows what it's like to lose someone. My mother-in-law, Becky, has been a great example to me since the moment I met her. She's taught me a lot. There's been a lot of other women that I've considered to be mother figures throughout my life - my best friend's mom, my 5th grade teacher, my mom's best friend, etc.
There's a lot of amazing women out there that deserve lots of recognition on Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day to all of you mothers out there. And daughters - don't take them for granted.
2 comments:
Soooo... I wonder if you wrote this before or after I wrote mine.... It will get better. Having your own kids gives you a distraction and brings her back a little. I have spent the majority (if not all) of the Mother's Days since mom died away from our family. It has just worked out that way. This was the first year that it wasn't hard being at my in-laws for it (whole background story there) and it has sadly been a big source of tension in the past. I'm glad you didn't have that same experience with yours and hope that you felt okay with not being yourself around them...because I really think real family allows for that and understands. Maybe next year we can plan for you to be here for Mother's Day. I took Dawn out Saturday night and I think that helped. Come here and we can sit and just 'be' at the cemetery and hang out with Dawn and pretend she's mom. Or we can just get away for a girls' trip. Maybe make that trip to NYC and see mom's family. Yeah...that sounds good too....
Love ya! Call me if you wants...
i wrote it after you wrote yours but before i read it. i'm pretty sure none of his family remembered and probably just thought I was in a bad/quiet mood the whole time. I just tried to stay quiet and not talk and not burst into tears. They really are great and I'm so grateful our kids will have that ideal family setup on that side of our family and I don't blame them if they think I'm psycho now.
Post a Comment